Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Scary Lady...


Sometimes art is for art's sake only, and it can't be made to please everybody. I picked up this postcard in a wacky, eclectic, antiques type place somewhere near the Welsh border between England and Wales, Hay on Wye actually that's the name--They had this mannequin in their shop and also made a series of postcards and who knows what else with her likeness. All I did was doll her up a bit using flowers cut out from the Papersource catalogue ("do something creative...") some washers, a bolt, and a lovely rhinestone teardrop right in between her deranged eyes. I love this piece, and have enjoyed doctoring up existing postcard images ever since. I actually sent out 6 or so in a postcard exchange that was organized by another Sarah, however the cards I received in return, if I got one at all, were truly disappointing! So that's when I decided to start sending out the watercolors to whoever "raised their hand" or to whoever I felt I needed to reach out and touch. Snail mail has just gone by the wayside, and I have to say I am still in the denial stage, I'm just not ready to say goodbye.

No comments: