Sunday, August 9, 2009

Baby quilt



I've been quite the quilter lately, yet even so, still feel I have a lot to learn. A new stragey of mine is to choose a random quilt block from a book I have with the patterns for all of the pieces--and go ahead and make just one 12" x 12" block. Of course the quilt shown uses a smaller block that I developed into one the size of 1/4 of this quilt and then joined those four together and added a border--It is roughly 50% flannel in the pieced portion, and for me, I just really liked this palette. I am more inspired by palette than I have the strength of composition. My niece just received a new quilt from her maternal granny that kind of blew my mind because rather than using blocks at all it was assembled in strips or rows of randomly cut yet uniform pieces all 1940's repro. Her binding was flawless with tiny mitered corners, it was only 1/4" and I believe hand finished on the back??? Not sure. Anyway new baby Clara Rose is the proud owner of this quilt and I think she'll enjoy it despite my rudimentary status as an "outsider" yet zealous quilter.

No comments: