Wednesday, August 22, 2007

mini chuppa detail


My mother's cousin and her daugter have commisioned me to make the chuppa for the daughter's wedding in March. They have collected a bunch of textile family heirlooms like handerchiefs, crib covers, beaded sweaters etc. and I am going to piece them together on a backing fabric that is 7' by 7'. The chuppa is a tent that the couple is married under so it is a central part of the Jewish wedding ceremony. At our first meeting we discussed the layout and I looked at their artifacts--we also discussed me making a sample to judge the time it will take, hence the price for me doing the work. (It also gives a nice visual and textural way for them to say what they like and dislike about the work prior to me doing anything on their piece.)

Today I sat down with a piece of linen and a bundle of lace and began to assemble the sample--this work was done in one hour and is about a sixth of the size of the actual chuppa--it has raw edges and the stitches are visible on the underside. Also, it is not compiled of the actual materials-only similar ones-but it was an enjoyable excercise and will hopefully help the clients visualize their final product.

No comments: